The International Museum Day takes place every 18th of May and all over the world, this is celebrated in a different way. The foundation of this day dates back to 1977, with the incentive of raising awareness for the importance of national history and the development of society. The International Museum Day is being held in over 120 countries over the world and more than 30,000 museums participate in the event. However, every museum around the world is welcome to be part of the International Museum Day.
Every museum has its own event or promotion, so do the museums in Quito. The government has initiated a special program on the 20th of May, a program giving you the opportunity to join a museum tour that shows you several museums in only a few hours, which only costs $2,-. People interested can join any of the 5 itineraries offered of which each shows you several musea with different types of exhibitions. More information about these routes can be found here.
Ecuador and especially Quito are rich of culture and history and have many musea that exhibit the culture and national history. This weekend many musea in Quito will offer several kinds of exhibitions, all free to visit. Below you can find a list of popular musea in Ecuador with each offering different themes and exhibitions:
- Museo Templo del Sol (Quito); this museum exhibitions the old Inca history, including their rituals, customs and art
- La Capilla del Hombre (Quito); this is a construction designed by Oswaldo Gauyasamin, the main attraction is the building itself and inside several masterpieces of this artist can be found
- Guayasamin museum (Quito); this museum exhibits the incredible artistic masterpieces of Oswaldo Guayasamin existing of many different types of arts, one of the most incredible museums of Ecuador. The Guayasamin museum launched a new exhibition for Oswaldo Guayasamin called ‘Manos de Protesta’ (Hands of Protest) which is aimed at showing the people the history of Ecuador and its bloody past during the Spanish colonial era
- Pumapungo museum (Cuenca); this museum exhibits reconstructions of typical indigenous houses and art from the Incan era
- Homero Ortega (Cuenca); this museum exhibits the typical ‘Panama hats’ and the whole production story behind it
- Charles Darwin research center (Puerto Baquerizo Moreno); this museum is all about the species living on the Galapagos Islands, its existence, evolution and much more, and currently the famous Lonesome George is exhibited here
May you visit some of the museums, we offer cultural and sightseeing tours in Quito and its surrounding and we can guide you around in the museums. We have professional bilingual guides who are always happy to assist you. Personalize your own trip with Gulliver Expeditions and get to see all the beautiful highlights of Quito and its surrounding!
For more information you can contact us anytime at email@example.com!0